Menu

Reno’s Hawk Fire Forces Evacuations and Threatens Homes

7 hours ago 0

A fast-moving brush fire, known as the Hawk Fire, spread rapidly across more than 10,500 acres outside Reno, Nevada, on Saturday. Approximately 1,000 homes faced threats as strong winds fanned the flames, leading to evacuations.

Nevada Governor Joe Lombardo declared a state of emergency for Washoe County due to the swift expansion of the Hawk Fire. The Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District reported that gusty winds, low humidity, and dry vegetation contributed significantly to fueling the blaze.

About 400 firefighters and personnel from various agencies worked diligently on Saturday evening, tackling the fire both on the ground and from the air. Crews included three helicopters tasked with overnight operations to protect homes and properties.

Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve disclosed that the fire had already destroyed structures, though specific details regarding the impacted buildings were not immediately available. Truckee Meadows Fire and Rescue Chief Richard Edwards highlighted the difficulty firefighters faced as the wind-driven fire encroached on residential areas.

“The Hawk Fire is a very dynamic incident for us as it’s being driven by the winds,” Edwards remarked in a social media video. “The wind-driven fires move very rapidly into our residential areas, creating a lot of challenges for our firefighters to save homes and protect lives.”

In response to the worsening conditions, additional evacuations were ordered for the Somersett community, including areas from Somersett Parkway to Robb Drive and neighborhoods north of West 7th Street to North McCarran Boulevard. Roughly 1,000 homes were placed in a “Warning – GET SET” zone, with residents advised to prepare to evacuate.

Mayor Schieve encouraged evacuees to heed orders promptly, emphasizing the importance of safety over property. “If you have been told to evacuate, please don’t wait! Structures have already been burned in this fire and your life is more important than a building,” Schieve stated.

Governor Lombardo warned of the active and rapidly changing nature of the situation. “I urge everyone in the affected areas to remain vigilant and follow the direction of local officials,” he said, stressing the fire’s threat to homes and structures.

Officials were also closely monitoring the fire’s proximity to a Washoe County correctional facility. Sheriff Darin Balaam assured the public of ongoing collaboration with fire and emergency crews, prioritizing the safety and security of those within the facility.

“The safety and security of every incarcerated individual, as well as our staff, remains a top priority,” Balaam affirmed. “We will continue to evaluate conditions and respond accordingly.”

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *